The Social Experiment

This blog is about understanding and exploring what my Grandmothers experienced by living on the home front during World War II. I am going to be living, as best as I can, to the US rationing standards of 1945. This is a social experiment, not only to connect to my families past, but to explore new way to live environmentally and socially responsible. I hope to show, that by living as our grandparents did, we can reduce the amount of waste that our society throws out and live healthier and more simple lives.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Wonder of Soy…

Over the last two weeks – my only meat source was a whole chicken that I cooked (and recooked) in every way possible. So I have been furious to find new recipes that have a source of protein.

What did I find?

Soy – in the form of Soy flour.

In every stretching recipe that I have found- especially around meat – the extra stretching ingredient is soy! I am happy to say that you can still find soy flour in the health food area of a grocery store and I love it!

The first recipe that I tried was “soy Rocks” which are a wonderful spice cookie with soy flour in them. They make great afternoon or coffee break snacks (if you haven’t used up your coffee rations!) And the wonderful thing about the cookies (besides only being 1 weight watcher point a piece) is that they hold you. There is protein in them and they really are filling! For the recipe look in the book “Grandma’s Wartime Kitchen.”

The next recipe was trying to find new ways to fix chicken – so I made homemade chicken pot pie with biscuits on top. Using a recipe from “the Good Housekeeping Cookbook (1942)” I made biscuits with soy for the top. Ohhhh … they were sooooo yummy and super filling!

Tonight – I had to have a break from chicken! And I used most of my rations to buy a pound of ground beef. I froze half of it – but made Soy Meat Patties from the Good housekeeping cook book. So far they smell delicious. They are a glorified meat loaf patty – but instead of using bread crumbs- there is 1/4th cup of soy flour, 1/4th cup milk, pepper, salt, onions, and chili powder. They are then fried in a Tablespoon of shortening. They smell wonderful.

The moral of this post is… do not discount the power of mixing extra proteins together. It helps stretch the amount of meat, and helps keep your tummy full and happy when there is not much to eat in the home!

By the way… the total of my groceries this week (due to keeping under my ration total) was $12.63. I was shocked! Rationing also helps you save money.

(That didn’t count the cabbage and vegetables I had at home – and I made my own bread this week – so next week ration pts. will be used to restock my flour)

No comments:

Post a Comment