The Social Experiment

This blog is about understanding and exploring what my Grandmothers experienced by living on the home front during World War II. I am going to be living, as best as I can, to the US rationing standards of 1945. This is a social experiment, not only to connect to my families past, but to explore new way to live environmentally and socially responsible. I hope to show, that by living as our grandparents did, we can reduce the amount of waste that our society throws out and live healthier and more simple lives.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Cooking chicken... all of the chicken!

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Exploring New Recipes…

OK today I just have to brag – I have concurred homemade (no Meat) baked beans! I am working on sandwich filler that is made from a base of baked beans – so I started from scratch… due to having no more blue ration stamps for a can of them.

I found some beans (white spotted brown) on sale at the co-op store, soaked them all night, boiled them to death – then added some molasses (no need to waste sugar rations on this), unions, cyanine pepper, and some mustard. It tastes so good it could be sold as Bushes! I am excited to see how it turns out in the sandwich.

I am also cooking my chicken for the week. Reading the ‘good housekeeping ‘cookbook of 1942 – I am not wasting any part of this chicken. Along with cooking the chicken (I am cheating and using a oven bag due to not having a roster) I am also cooking the giblets, heart, and liver. To be honest I am not looking forwards to eating these… but I had to try. The cook book said to simmer them for 1-4 hours in sauce pan filled with a stalk of celery, onion, and enough water to cover everything. They have been simmering for 1 ½ hours and the neck is soft, but the heart is rock hard! (Maybe it is the gizzard?). I have to say it smells good – if anything, this will be the meat I will ground up and use to make a chicken spread for lunches this week… I will let you know how it goes!

I am trying to find a new recipe for each week – to try and stretch out food. Next week I may try to make imitation butter- we will have to see. So far I have no butter due to buying shortening instead. I will have to start saving up to get some.

No comments:

Post a Comment