The Social Experiment

This blog is about understanding and exploring what my Grandmothers experienced by living on the home front during World War II. I am going to be living, as best as I can, to the US rationing standards of 1945. This is a social experiment, not only to connect to my families past, but to explore new way to live environmentally and socially responsible. I hope to show, that by living as our grandparents did, we can reduce the amount of waste that our society throws out and live healthier and more simple lives.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Mighty Lunch…





I have received the best WWII document every.  A beautiful cookbook on 500 recipes for packing victory lunches.  In rationing – I have gotten quite board with my lunches that I take to work.  Now the options are endless.

I wanted ideas for sandwich fillings.  I don’t buy sandwich meat and I get tired of Peanut butter.   I have started making bread each week- and I like to have a variety of sandwiches during the week.

Here are some of my favorites…

Green Bean filler:  Take two cups of cooked green beans and cut them up into tiny pieces (I used my olu knife and a cutting bowl).  Add chopped parsley (about a tablespoon), pepper, and a table spoon of mayonnaise.  Stir together well.  This will make enough for 4-5 sandwiches. 
It tastes wonderful- and it is a great choice for meatless Monday!
Green Bean Sandwich filling

Cottage Cheese and Carrots:  Take a ½ cup of Cottage cheese.  Add a ½ cup of grated carrots and 1/8 cup of raisins (the recipes calls for ½ and I used a ¼ cup and it was still too much).  Mix together and eat on brown bread.
This is a sweet and filling sandwich.  Great protein and vegetable servings.  The carrots are so sweet.  You could add mayonnaise if you wanted (I don’t like it so I left it out).  Again – great for Meatless Mondays.

Cottage Cheese, Raisins and Carrots
I also made chocolate macrons.  It was baking chocolate, coconut and I put in currants.  I think they taste much better without the currants.  They are a great quick cookie for lunch.

My Packed Lunch, with Macrons
I did discover that as I eat less meat – I crave milk.  So I always pack a small jar of Milk in my lunches and it just hits the spot.

Happy lunch packing….

No comments:

Post a Comment