The Social Experiment

This blog is about understanding and exploring what my Grandmothers experienced by living on the home front during World War II. I am going to be living, as best as I can, to the US rationing standards of 1945. This is a social experiment, not only to connect to my families past, but to explore new way to live environmentally and socially responsible. I hope to show, that by living as our grandparents did, we can reduce the amount of waste that our society throws out and live healthier and more simple lives.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Eating Victoriously!!!








It is in!  My victory garden has produce!  I am so excited.

This week I realized that I needed to start harvesting my garden if I wanted to get a few crops out of it.  Being that the garden has been growing in indoor flower boxes – I put on a movie and sat watching while picking lettuce, spinach, and some weird broccoli thing.  I picked enough for a huge salad  (which I ate for supper) and had fresh lettuce, spinach salads for lunch all week.

Who knew that freshly picked spinach is sweet.  I sat eating it while finishing my movie. UMMM – I am very proud that it grew.  I grew my own food.
One thing I would do differently is …. Mark what I planted where.  I have no idea what some of the plants are.  I think one is a beet plant – I have started pollinating the flowers so that it will grow something (hummm … maybe it is cucumbers…????).  It has yellow leaves like a pumpkin plant.  I also have heritage tomatoes that need to go outside soon … I am checking to see if there is a balcony that I could use.
I now understand the excitement that would come with that first harvest of a victory garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment